New Student Connections
New Student Connections (NSC) within the Division of Student Success assists both newly admitted freshman and transfer students with making connections at the USF Sarasota-Manatee campus. As an integral part of the NSC team, student staff members serve as campus Peer Mentors to support students by building peer-to-peer relationships, connecting students to resources, cultivating community connections, and engaging students in campus life.
- Serve as a designated Peer Mentor to newly admitted student groups consisting of transfer or freshman students.
- Create opportunities to get to know your student groups. This includes being active in the campus community, promoting campus events, and utilizing messaging services to create conversations and connection.
- Assist with the development and implementation of signature programs and services within New Student Connections and with campus partners (e.g., Campus Activities Board (CAB), Health & Wellness, Student Government, etc.). This includes event set up, breakdown, marketing materials, etc.
- Complete regular office hours, which can include assisting with program planning, meeting with students, and any other duties as assigned by a New Student Connections Supervisor.
- Monitor New Student Connections email, messages, and appointment requests from students.
- Attend and actively participate in regular staff meetings. These will be held to discuss upcoming events, programing goals, and leadership development opportunities.
- Meet 1:1 with your supervisor regularly to discuss student needs and mentorship progress.
- Participate in recruitment efforts for future Peer Mentors. Help identify peers who show similar leadership qualities and campus passion.
- Attend and participate in Peer Mentor trainings.
- Be a USF degree-seeking student for a minimum of one semester prior to hire; must be enrolled for classes for duration of employment.
- Be in good academic standing with the university with at least a 2.5 GPA.
- Have a cleared student conduct check from the Office of Student Conduct and Ethical Development.
- Students with or without a Federal Work Study (FWS) allocation are eligible to apply. If applicable, attach documentation of your Federal Work-Study award and print a screenshot of your financial aid award page that shows you are FWS eligible.
- Willingness to learn about campus facts and University services & resources.
- Must be able to work as part of a diverse team to accomplish group goals.
- Have an appreciation for diversity and sensitivity toward a variety of ideas and values.
- Ability to assume leadership roles and complete all assigned tasks.
- Have a passion for the University of South Florida and strong desire to help new students find the same passion.
Compensation and Hours:
This position is expected to work between 8-10 hours per week at a rate of $12.00 per hour.
Peer Mentors will hold regular office hours where they can complete administrative tasks as well as be available to students to discuss concerns or hold peer coaching sessions. These hours must be consistent each week and during business hours. Peer mentors will have the opportunity to change these hours each semester or by review of a supervisor, as needed.
Additional time commitment may include programming efforts hosted by New Student Connections. Individual programs along with larger office collaborations will be held throughout the semester.
- Applications will open on 9/1/23 and will remain open until all positions are filled.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
- The New Student Connections team will review applications on a rolling basis and eligible candidates will be invited to participate in an interview process.
- Final offers are contingent upon a final grade and student conduct check.